New Providence Public Health Nurse
- The office of the Public Health Nurse is located on the third floor of the Municipal Building of the Borough of New Providence. The office hours are 8 AM to 3 PM on most Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The office number is (908) 743-1049.
- Appointments are recommended for in-office visits to ensure the nurse's availability. The work schedule may vary occasionally due to calendar of events, (screenings and other health-related programs).
- The New Providence Health Department is now affiliated with the Westfield Regional Health Department, located at 425 East Broad Street in Westfield. The office hours are 8:30AM to 4:30PM, Monday through Friday. The Westfield Regional Health Department phone number is (908) 789-4070.
Well Child Clinic
- This is a free service for all residents, (ages 2 months to 18 years) who are without health insurance & vaccine coverage.
- The clinics are held at the Westfield Regional Health Department 2 to 3 times per month according to need.
- Services include physical examinations, school required immunizations, and lead testing. Appointments are required and are available by calling the Westfield Regional Health Department at (908) 789-4070.
Community Health Programs & Senior Citizen Services
- Free blood pressure screenings are held every Wednesday, 9:30 AM to 11 AM, except for the first Wednesday of each month at the New Providence Senior Citizens Center located at 15 East Fourth Street in New Providence.
- Health-related programs and screenings are offered periodically for residents. Announcement of upcoming programs are posted on the borough website, TV channel 35, the local newspaper, and the free Senior Citizen Newsletter.
- The File of Life Program is a free medical information card that records all vital health information for emergency purposes; Call the Public Health Nurse to obtain the free File of Life card.
- The annual Senior Citizen Health Fair is held every spring at the Senior Citizen Center.
- The health fair offers a comprehensive list of services, health screenings and information provided by local health professionals and businesses. These services are provided free of charge to New Providence senior residents, ages 62 years and older. The details/information will be publicized on the borough website, TV channel 35 and local newspapers.
- Seasonal Flu Clinics are offered every fall, usually in early to mid October, depending on vaccine availability.
- Residents pay a nominal fee for the flu shot; reimbursement is obtained from Medicare for those residents with Medicare Health coverage.
- Residents can obtain the seasonal flu shot at any of the clinics held in the towns serviced by the Westfield Regional Health Department including Fanwood, Garwood, Mountainside, New Providence, Roselle Park, Springfield, Summit and Westfield.
- Details/Information will be posted on the borough website, TV channel 35, local newspaper, or by calling the Public Health Nurse for additional information at (908) 743-1049.
Home Visits & Office Visits
- The Public Health Nurse is available to make home visits to those residents that are home- bound and in need of assistance. Requests for home evaluations can be made by the primary physician, a concerned family member, or neighbor.
- The visit includes assessment of self care ability, nutrition, medication usage, safety, independent home function, and blood pressure check.
- The in-office services include blood pressure screening, health information and referral services.
Community Health / Disease Surveillance / School Audits / Health Information
- Investigation, tracking and reporting on communicable disease for all Borough residents.
- Evaluation of student immunization records for completeness in all the Borough schools.
- The Nurse can provide information on resources available within Union County.