New Providence Recreation - Special Needs Programs
|Phone: 908-464-4430||Contact us||Weather Hotline: 908-464-0600|
New Providence Recreation is part of TryCAN, a collaboration of communities formed to provide a comprehensive selection of recreational opportunities for kids with special needs. By collaborating together, TryCAN can offer a comprehensive selection of recreation offerings for kids with special needs with no residency restrictions or non-resident fees. Kids from other communities are also welcome! TryCAN:
- Offers recreation and social development programs for kids with special needs;
- Provides training and community service opportunities for those wishing to work with kids with special needs;
- Allows and encourages involvement of parents, professionals and volunteers;
- Provides networking and educational opportunities and events; and
- Raises funds and leverages volunteer and community resources to achieve its goals.
Central to TryCAN's model are peer mentors who serve as assistant coaches, buddies and cheerleaders for program participants. Those interested in mentoring attend a two hour training course which helps prepare them for this important and rewarding volunteer opportunity. Training is open to those ages 10 and over. View more information about mentoring on Summit's TryCAN Mentor Training web page. Mentoring course flyers will be available as classes are planned and are posted with the program flyers.
Learn more about TryCAN from the Summit TryCAN website, or by contacting Kevin, TryCAN Coordinator at email@example.com or 908-277-2932. You can also view Summit's TryCAN website:
Art classes for adults with special needs are also hosted by Recreation, typically in the winter. Information will be posted on this page when it's available.Print this text