Governor Phil Murphy today signed Executive Order No. 181, which permits gyms and health clubs, as well as amusement and water parks, to reopen their indoor premises to the public on Tuesday, September 1 at 6:00 a.m., provided these facilities comply with the health and safety standards issued by the Department of Health.
Under the Department of Health’s Executive Directive, gyms and health clubs who reopen will be required to adhere to the health and safety standards listed in the “Guidance for Health Clubs/Gyms/Fitness Centers”. These standards, which will also apply to other recreational businesses that offer fitness classes and activities, include the following, among others:
- Limit occupancy of any indoor premises to 25 percent of the stated maximum capacity;
- Conduct a temperature screening and questionnaire of staff and clients upon entrance to the facility;
- Limit indoor group activities (e.g., classes) to no more than 1 individual per 200 square feet of accessible space or less, with all individuals being able to maintain 6 feet of distance from other individuals during the entire class;
- Require workers and customers to wear cloth face coverings at all times, except where doing so would inhibit that individual’s health, such as when in the water and in other situations where the presence of a mask would pose a risk to the individual’s health, or where the individual is under two years of age;
- Demarcate six feet of distance between equipment, or blocking off equipment (e.g. every other machine) to maintain six feet of distancing between individuals using equipment;
- Require that reservations, cancellations and pre-payments be made via electronic or telephone reservation systems to limit physical interactions;
- Limit occupancy in restrooms to avoid over-crowding;
- Inform clients to arrive dressed to workout/train and bring their own hand towel, water, yoga mat, boxing gloves, and any other equipment;
- Not permit the use of showers, with the exception of gyms with pools, which can have individually partitioned showers or communal showers with installed barriers/partitions at least six feet apart;
- Limit locker room use to hand washing and restroom use only; and
- Adopt infection control practices and enhanced sanitization protocols.
Activities such as swimming in an indoor pool, tanning, outdoor dining, pick-up of food or beverage, and retail sales, which are otherwise permitted but which are not governed by the guidance, remain subject to applicable standards outlined in Executive Orders, Executive Directives and guidance.
For a copy of Executive Order No. 181, please click here.
For a copy of the Department of Health’s Executive Directive, please click here.
For a copy of the Department of Health’s Guidance for Health Clubs/Gyms/Fitness Centers, please click here.