As mandated by the Uniform Construction Code regulations, the Building Department has the responsibility to provide the following services: reviewing and processing applications for construction permits; issuing the permits; inspecting the work; and tracking construction code violations and unsafe structures. The department is also responsible for the administration and enforcement of all ordinances related to issues of development, building, land use, zoning, property maintenance, and tree removal.
The office is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Phone Number: 908-665-1098
Fax Number: 908-665-8361
Email the Building Department
Meet our Staff:
- Construction Official, Building/Fire Subcode: Keith J. Lynch
- Building Inspector: Leonard Perre
- Plumbing Subcode: Joseph Caputo
- Electrical Subcode: Joseph Marretta
- Technical Assistant: Debbie Timko
Building may be scheduled for Monday & Wednesday 1:00-5:00 PM, & Friday 7:30-11:00 AM
Fire Protection may be scheduled for Monday -Thursday 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Plumbing may be scheduled for Monday , Wednesday or Friday 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM
Electrical may be scheduled for Monday, Wednesday or Friday 1:00 – 4:00 PM
Required inspections may be requested by the owner or the contractor. Inspections may be requested in person or by phone. All requests must include the permit number and the address of the worksite. Inspections are normally scheduled within 72 hours of the request. Request for inspections must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
Check Before You Build
A call to the building department and to the Zoning Officer is an important step, even when planning minor improvements. Residents should become familiar with zoning, construction code and permit requirements before installing fencing, retaining walls, and garden sheds, regardless of size or location of the proposed installation. In general, all improvements require zoning and engineering review before the work begins, even if the project is exempt from construction permit requirements. For instance:
- Fencing and wall, including retaining walls over two feet in height are subject to zoning review and zoning permit.
- Fencing six feet or less in height requires a zoning permit, but no required construction permit unless the fence is part of a pool enclosure.
- All garden or utility sheds require a zoning permit, but require no construction permit if 100 square feet or less in floor area.
- Depending on their location on the lot and on their specific structural function, retaining walls four feet in height or less may require a construction permit.
- Land disturbance, clearing, excavation for any purpose, reshaping the contour of a property requires engineering approval, even if no other construction is taking place.
This is a partial list, when in doubt, call the building department.
Please keep in mind that the building department of New Providence is here for your use and protection. Have a question about your upcoming or existing project? Unsure how to start the building process? Is the contractor providing the proper materials? All of these are questions asked of us everyday. Please call 908-665-1098 and we will try to help you in any way possible.
The purpose of construction permits is for the health, safety and welfare of the building occupants and the public. Permit requirements are STATE LAW and strictly enforced by the Building Department. You can help the Borough and your neighborhood by maintaining your property in a way that you and your neighbors can be proud of.
Thinking about selling your home?
You should be aware that it is required that prior to the sale of your home you must make application to the Building Department for a Certificate of Compliance. This application is available here or at the Building Department on the third floor of the Borough Hall. Failure to make application in a timely manner may delay your closing.