The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events.* By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
To reach the DeCorso Community Center, please call (908) 665-0046.
CURRENT DECORSO CENTER NEWS
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought New Providence and the surrounding communities into uncharted territory as our lives and routines have been temporarily disrupted. In our “new normal” of social distancing, please rest assured that although the New Providence Municipal Center and the DeCorso Community Center are closed to the public, municipal workers are still working to keep our town running.
The Center is closed to the public and all regular in-person programing remains suspended, but we are offering virtual programs to our members and New Providence residents. See information below and in our current newsletter.
• New Providence residents ages 65+ can participate in our virtual ZOOM exercise classes. To register for these classes, please send an e-mail to Decorsocenter@newprov.org.
- Monday, Stretch and Strength at 9:00am – NEW in August!
- Monday, Chair Yoga at 11am
- Tuesday, Balance and Conditioning at 9:45am
- Tuesday, Tai Chi at 1pm
- Thursday, Strong YOU! at 9:30am
- Thursday, Exercises for Arthritis at 11am
- Friday, Zumba at 9:00am
• Virtual Program on “Vaccine Needs and Common Vaccines for Seniors” – Wednesday, August 12th at 11am – We are going to offer a virtual Zoom program with Dr. Chow from St. Barnabas on “Vaccine Needs and Common Vaccines for Seniors.” There will be time for discussion and to answer any concerns seniors might have about vaccination. To register and receive the Zoom link for this program, please send an e-mail to Decorsocenter@newprov.org by August 6th.
* We will continue call-in bingo games on Fridays at 11am. Please call (908) 665-0046 to sign-up.
• The NP Senior Shuttle is continuing ShopRite trips on Tuesday mornings with pick-ups at about 7:00 a.m. – please call on Mondays to reserve your spot.
The monthly newsletter provides information, schedules, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE 2020AUGNewsletterPUBLICto view our current newsletter.
- New Providence Public Health Nurse (908) 743-1049
- Union County Division on Aging 888-280-8226
- Westfield Regional Health Department (908) 789-4070 or website: http://www.westfieldnj.gov/health
- NJCOVID-19 Hotline 1-800-222-1222
CLICK HERE to view past issues of the newsletter
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack