The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events.* By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
- ShopRite – Tuesday mornings (Call the Center between 8:30-9:00 a.m.)
- Club meetings – Wednesday mornings (Call the Center by 10:00 a.m.)
- Livingston Mall or Blue Star Shopping Center (2nd, 3rd and 4th Fridays of the month. Call the Center between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m.)
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Click here for exercise class descriptions: Exercise Class Descriptions
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
WEEKLY SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- “Ask the Pharmacist” – Questions about your medications? Join a Clinical Pharmacist from Overlook Medical Center for a talk on medication and supplement safety. Learn how certain foods can interact with your medications, common side effects, and how to safely dispose of old or unused meds. There will be time for individual questions after the meeting. – October 16
- “Medicare Changes” – A representative from SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program) will give a presentation on “Medicare Changes,” introduce their services, and be available for individual consultations. – October 23
- “The Great Swamp and Bird Migration” – A representative from Friends of Great Swamp will give a presentation on the Great Swamp and bird migration. – October 30
- “What’s Changed Since I Started Driving?” – A representative from TransOptions, an organization that offers programs in bicycle, pedestrian and driver safety, will give an informative and interactive driver safety presentation on the driving laws and vehicle technologies that have changed since seniors first got their licenses. – November 6
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- Exercise with Arthritis – Our experienced instructor Myriam Gabriel will lead participants through various exercises that are suitable for those living with arthritis. October 10, 24 and 31 at 11:00 a.m.
- Columbus Day Celebration – Join the NPSCC Italian class and the NP Diversity Committee in celebrating Columbus Day at a Pot-Luck dinner at the DeCorso Center on Saturday, October 12th from 5:00 – 8:00pm. There will be music, entertainment and stories. Bring a favorite dish to share. For reservations sign up at the Center or call 908-464-4204.
- The Book Club will meet on Tuesday, October 15 at 10:45 a.m. to discuss The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. Click here for books previously read: https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-list-newsletter-oct18-pdf/
- Casino Trip – Try your luck at the Wind Creek Casino in Bethlehem, PA on Tuesday, October 15. Purchase $25 tickets in advance. Receive $25 in “play money.”
- Communications Crew
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack