CURRENT DECORSO CENTER NEWS
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought New Providence and the surrounding communities into uncharted territory as our lives and routines have been temporarily disrupted. In our “new normal,” please rest assured that although the DeCorso Community Center is currently closed to the public, we are still working to provide programs and services to New Providence seniors. To reach the DeCorso Community Center, please call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail email@example.com.
The Center is closed to the public, but we are offering virtual and alternative programs to our members and New Providence residents. See information below and in our current newsletter.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- COVID-19 vaccines are now available in New Jersey for certain qualified recipients, including individuals over the age of 65.
- We encourage all seniors over the age of 65 to contact their healthcare provider regarding the vaccine.
- The State of New Jersey webpage includes updated information for NJ residents on its “COVID 19 Information Hub” vaccine information pages at www.nj.gov.
- A January 14 article on the NJ.gov webpage discusses “Where, how and when can I get vaccinated? See https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-information/slowing-the-spread/where-how-and-when-can-i-get-vaccinated#direct-link
- The website also includes a list of COVID-19 Vaccine locations for eligible recipients: COVID-19 Vaccine Locations for Eligible Recipients (nj.gov)
- Information will also continue to be available on the Union County webpage: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Survey & Scheduler (ucnjvaccine.org) and the Borough of New Providence main webpage www.newprov.org
AARP Tax Assistance Updates
We have been advised that the AARP Tax Aide Foundation will NOT be providing free in-person tax preparation assistance in Union County this year. To submit your return, you should plan to find alternate service through a paid preparer or complete your own return. For more information, you may visit the AARP website www.aarp.org. Tax-Aide will continue to offer access to self-prep software that you may link to via the Tax-Aide homepage at www.aarpfoundation.org/taxaide.
Upcoming DeCorso Center Programs
“Aging In Your Own Space” Virtual Program – Aging-in-place involves being able to remain in the home of your choice, even as your needs may change. However, the decision to stay in your home requires advanced planning. Atlantic Health’s New Vitality is offering this program to us on Monday, January 18 at 10:00 am. Join us to learn about common areas of consideration when formulating an aging-in-place plan, including home modifications, assistive technology, health care services, community resources, financial concerns, and legal preparations. Presented by Rebecca Abenante, MA, MSW, LSW, ASWG. Please email DeCorsoCenter@newprov.org by Thursday, January 14 to register and receive the Zoom link.
Virtual Art Program – Let your creativity flow in this interactive virtual art class and capture the best of winter on canvas. Brandywine Living at Mountain Ridge will be offering a virtual art program “Artists Palette” for our seniors on Wednesday, January 27 at 11 am. Absolutely no prior art experience is necessary to have fun. Art is subjective after all! Art supplies will be delivered by Brandywine safely to your doorstep in advance. A Zoom link will be sent out 24 hours prior to the class. Please email DeCorsoCenter@newprov.org by January 19 with your name, address, phone and e-mail to participate.
Zoom Exercise Classes – New Providence residents ages 65+ can participate in our virtual Zoom exercise classes. To register for these classes, please send an e-mail to Decorsocenter@newprov.org. Below is the schedule for classes:
- Monday, In Control at 9:30am
- Monday, Chair Yoga at 11am
- Tuesday, Balance and Conditioning at 9:45am
- Tuesday, Tai Chi at 1pm
- Thursday, Strong YOU! at 9:30am
- Friday, Zumba at 9:00am
Call-In Bingo – Weekly Bingo call-in games will continue on Fridays at 11 a.m. Call (908) 665-0046 or email DeCorsoCenter@newprov.org in advance to register and receive the call-in information.
The NP Senior Shuttle is continuing ShopRite trips on Tuesday mornings with pick-ups at about 7:00 a.m. – Please call on Monday mornings to reserve your spot.
The monthly newsletter provides information, schedules, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE 2021JANNewsletterPUBLICFINAL to view our current newsletter.
- New Providence Public Health Nurse (908) 743-1049
- Union County Division on Aging 888-280-8226
- Westfield Regional Health Department (908) 789-4070 or website: http://www.westfieldnj.gov/health
- NJCOVID-19 Hotline 1-800-222-1222
DeCorso Community Center Information
The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
CLICK HERE to view past issues of the newsletter
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack