DECORSO CENTER NEWS
To reach the Decorso Community Center, please call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are pleased to announce that the Center has re-opened. All of our in-person programs have returned to the DeCorso Center.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- We encourage seniors to contact their healthcare provider regarding the vaccine.
- Please refer to the “COVID 19 Information and Updates” section on the Borough of New Providence website www.newprov.org for more information and useful links.
*Important Safety Protocols for In-Person Activities and Programs**
- The wearing of masks in Borough of New Providence municipal buildings is no longer required. Seniors are asked to continue to wear their masks while riding the senior bus.
- Please note that the Department of Health encourages residents to make individual decisions within the guidelines in place. Masks are strongly recommended for individuals who are immunocompromised or who have immunocompromised individuals living at home with them. If you are concerned about disease transmission or you are not fully vaccinated, you are encouraged to wear a mask. An individual is considered fully vaccinated when they have the full first course of a vaccine (1 for J&J and 2 for Moderna and Pfizer) AND the booster at the appropriate time interval.
- Social Distancing is still recommended. Space may be limited for in-person programs.
- Please RSVP for all in-person programs by calling the Center at (908)665-0046 or e-mailing email@example.com
- Please do NOT come to programs if you are not feeling well.
Thank you for your cooperation. Let’s work together to keep our community safe!
Upcoming DeCorso Center Programs:
* See our current newsletter and calendar for a complete listing of our activities and program details.
Enjoy a fun morning of Indoor Bingo with Club friends every Friday in May! We will have bingo every Friday at 11:00a.m. in the Main Room of the DeCorso Center. Bingo cards will be 50 cents each. (Please note that there will be NO bingo on Friday, June 3 as there will be early voting taking place at the Center on that date.)
NPSCC CLUB MEETINGS WITH MUSICAL PERFORMANCES
Please join us for two May Club meetings filled with wonderful music!
We are excited to welcome New Providence High School vocalists back to perform! The students will preview pieces for their upcoming voice recital with the theme “The Golden Age of Song,” which encompasses a variety of popular songs from the 1930s to the 1960s. Please join us for a wonderful morning of music at our Club meeting on Monday, May 9 at 11:00a.m. at the DeCorso Center.
The Larks are back! With a new musical director and popular, upbeat songs, the Larks of the Junior League of Summit return to the DeCorso Center to entertain us at our Club Meeting on Wednesday, May 25 at 11:00am. Come sing with us!
Masks are optional. Social distancing is recommended. Register in advance for the meeting, and for bus transportation if needed, by calling (908) 665-0046 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, May 5 for the May 9 meeting and Monday, May 23 for the May 25 meeting.
FIRST AID KITS FOR UKRAINE
Have you been wondering how you may be able to help the people of Ukraine? One way is to provide supplies to those in need. Please join Pat, Peggy and other Club friends on Tuesday, May 10 at 11a.m. in the DeCorso Center to put together first aid kits which will be sent to the Ukrainian people through a church organization. If you would like to donate items, suggested first aid kit items include: ace bandages, bandages including extra-large size bandages, wound wraps, hand cleaning wipes, plastic gloves, medical tape, medical scissors, tweezers, cold packs, hydrogen peroxide, and any other items found in pre-packaged first aid kits. Supplies may be donated in advance by bringing them to the Center. To sign up to assemble the kits, please email email@example.com or call (908) 665-0046.
CRAFT AND CHAT
Many of us did tissue paper craft as kids, but few people use it for art as adults. This craft will help you trigger those fun feelings from childhood! Share your memories and enjoy an interactive craft session on Wednesday, May 11 at 11am in the DeCorso Center solarium. Email DeCorsoCenter@newprov.us or call the Center at (908) 665-0046 by Monday, May 9 to register for the program.
Atlantic Health Virtual Program on The Mediterranean Diet – Monday, May 16, 10:00am
Join Evelyn Minolfo, MS, RDN from the ShopRite of Parsippany for a nutrition webinar on the Mediterranean diet. In this webinar you will learn about the health benefits, menu planning and tips to incorporate the Mediterranean diet into your daily eating plan. E-mail DeCorsoCenter@newprov.us by Friday, May 13 to register and receive the Zoom link.
Atlantic Health Virtual Program Stroke & Hypertension – Thursday May 26, 6:00pm
Do you know the risk factors associated with a stroke? Join us to learn how hypertension can affect your risk of a stroke, learn what to do if you or a loved one has a stroke, and how to BE FAST! Presented by Elizabeth Finan, MSN, RN, Stroke Program Manager, Overlook Medical Center. E-mail DeCorsoCenter@newprov.us by Monday, May 23 to register and receive the Zoom link.
The NPSCC Membership Directory has been successfully updated. We need volunteers to help compile it on Tuesday, May 24th at 11am, so that it will be available for purchase starting in June. Please call the Center at (908) 665-0046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 20 to volunteer. Thank you!
Zoom Exercise Classes – New Providence residents ages 65+ can participate in our virtual Zoom exercise classes. To register for these classes, please send an e-mail to Decorsocenter@newprov.us. Below is the schedule for classes:
- Monday, In Control at 9am
- Monday, Chair Yoga at 11am
- Tuesday, Balance and Conditioning at 9:45am
- Tuesday, Tai Chi at 1pm
- Thursday, Strong YOU! at 9:30am
- Friday, Zumba at 9:00am
Special Wednesday Classes:
- Zumba Gold-Toning – Wednesdays at 9.30am in April and May
- Bone Smart – Fridays at 10.30 am in June
The NP Senior Shuttle is continuing ShopRite trips on Tuesday mornings with pick-ups at about 8:00 a.m. – Please call on Monday mornings to reserve your spot.
Bus to Blue Star: On Thursday, May 12, NP senior Shuttle will be driving to the Blue Star Shopping Center including the Dollar Store, ShopRite, and Kohl’s. Pickups will begin at 9am. Please call the Center at (908) 665-0046 or email email@example.com by Tuesday, May 10 to reserve your spot.
The monthly newsletter provides information, schedules, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE 2022MAYNewsletterPUBLICnewsletter to view our current newsletter.
- New Providence Public Health Nurse (908) 743-1049
- Union County Division on Aging 888-280-8226
- Westfield Regional Health Department (908) 789-4070 or website: http://www.westfieldnj.gov/health
- SAGE Eldercare services for New Providence Residents: SAGE Eldercare is a nonprofit organization providing programs and services to meet the changing needs of older adults, their families, and caregivers. New Providence Borough has contracted with SAGE and their services are available to all New Providence residents. The liaison for New Providence residents may be reached at 908-598-5509.
- Union County Paratransit System (908)241-8300
DeCorso Community Center Information
The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
CLICK HERE to view past issues of the newsletter
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinator: Michelle Zack
Senior Center Program Coordinator: Arthi shri Selvaraj