The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events.* By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
- ShopRite – Tuesday mornings (Call the Center between 8:30-9:00 a.m.)
- Club meetings – Wednesday mornings (Call the Center by 10:00 a.m.)
- Livingston Mall or Blue Star Shopping Center (Call the Center between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m.)
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Click here for exercise class descriptions: Exercise Class Descriptions
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
WEEKLY SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- “The Sun and Our Solar System – The Mysteries and Excitement” lecture by Club member Professor S. Ananthakrishnan – September 4
- “Bring a Friend Day” – September 11
- “Healthy Fall Eating” presentation with samples of nutritious foods by Carol Brush from Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield – September 18
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- Spring Grove’s Summer Barbeque for New Providence Seniors – Wednesday August 21 from 12:00-2:00 p.m. – In honor of National Senior Citizens Day, Spring Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center is hosting a FREE Community BBQ for seniors and their families. The picnic will be held at Spring Grove, 144 Gales Drive New Providence. RSVP is not required but is preferred.
- Bus Trip to the Jefferson House at Lake Hopatcong – Wednesday, August 28 at 10:00 a.m. – Enjoy a beautiful view of the lake and a Hawaiian Luau complete with entertainment, lunch, dessert, beer, wine and soda. $40 tickets must be purchased in advance.
- “Selected Topics in Biology and Life Sciences” class for seniors, taught by Professor Bill Dunscombe of Union County College, will begin a new semester in September. These engaging classes will be held on Mondays September 16 – December 2 from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. FREE to New Providence seniors; $20 per semester for out of town residents. Registration forms will be collected on the first day of class.
- The Book Club will meet next on Tuesday, September 17 at 10:45 a.m. to discuss the novel News of the World by Paulette Jiles. Click here for books previously read: https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-list-newsletter-oct18-pdf/
- Welcome Back Country Western Picnic– Wednesday, September 25 at 12:00 p.m. – Come celebrate the beginning of another great year at the NPSCC with plentiful food and wonderful entertainment. $18 tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Communications Crew
- There is NO pizza bingo on Friday, August 16 or Friday, August 30.
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack