The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events.* By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
- ShopRite – Tuesday mornings (Call the Center between 8:30-9:00 a.m.)
- Club meetings – Wednesday mornings (Call the Center by 10:00 a.m.)
- Livingston Mall or Blue Star Shopping Center (2nd, 3rd and 4th Fridays of the month. Call the Center between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m.)
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
WEEKLY PROGRAM/SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- Home Safety talk presented by Seniors in Place LLC – January 22
- “Cold versus the Flu” – presented by Overlook’s New Vitality program – January 29
- New Providence High School Vocal Soloists – Enjoy the wonderful talent of our local high school students – February 5
- “Hootenanny” – Come join the fun and learn about musicians who wrote and sang folk tunes. Dress up like the 60s, and get ready to sing and sway. We will also celebrate February birthdays – February 12
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- Lunar New Year Luncheon – Celebrate the Year of the Rat and enjoy lunch at Szechuan Delight on Wednesday, January 29 at 1:00 p.m. Purchase $15 tickets in advance.
- Tax Return Assistance BY APPOINTMENT ONLY – Mondays and Saturdays February 8 – April 13, 2019 – New Providence area residents can obtain free AARP Foundation tax aide assistance in preparing and filing their 2019 tax returns. There are no age or income limitations for participation in this program, but taxpayers with complex returns may be advised to seek paid assistance. Beginning January 27, 2019, taxpayers may call the DeCorso Center at (908) 665-0046 between 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays to schedule an appointment.
- Special Program on French Impressionist Art – Monday, February 10 at 10:30 a.m. – Please join us for this FREE “Armchair Art Tour” about French Impressionist painters, with a talk accompanied by a slide presentation of Impressionist art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Princeton University Art Museum and the Zimmerli Art Museum at Rutgers. This special program, sponsored by Spring Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, will be presented by Michael Norris, who spent 20 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Cloisters Museum, and has lectured on trips all over the world.
- FREE Painting Class – Sunrise Senior Living of Summit will sponsor a painting class with a professional painter on Tuesday, February 11 from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. No experience is necessary! A light lunch will be provided. Please sign up by February 3.
- The Book Club will meet on Tuesday, February 18 at 10:45 a.m. to discuss the true-life novel Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. Click here for books previously read: https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-list-newsletter-oct18-pdf/
- AARP Smart Driver Course – Monday, February 24 from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. – Refresh your driving skills, review the rules of the road, and learn research-based driving strategies. Participants may receive a car insurance discount. Cost $15.00 for AARP members, $20.00 for non-members. Register in advance by calling the Center at 908-665-0046.
- Communications Crew
When schools are closed for rain, snow or ice, the Center is also closed. If schools have a delayed opening, the Center also has a delayed opening. When in doubt, please call the Center to check on activities and the time the Center will open. Most importantly, if there is snow or ice, please be cautious. It’s ok to miss an activity!
The Center will be closed on Monday, February 17 in observance of President’s Day.
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack