The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events.* By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
- ShopRite – Tuesday mornings (Call the Center between 8:30-9:00 a.m.)
- Club meetings – Wednesday mornings (Call the Center by 10:00 a.m.)
- Livingston Mall or Blue Star Shopping Center (2nd, 3rd and 4th Fridays of the month. Call the Center between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m.)
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
WEEKLY SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- NPHS Sociology Class Interviews – Members of the New Providence High School Sociology class will visit the Center to interview Club members and gather information about generational differences regarding school, dating and more… Come share your experiences – it is always an interesting discussion! – December 4
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- New Providence Senior Citizen Club Holiday Party – Wednesday, December 11 from 12:00 to 3:00 p.m. – Enjoy a delicious holiday luncheon and a musical performance by the New Providence Middle School Girls Choir. $27 tickets must be purchased in advance. Please bring a non-perishable item to donate to the OLP Food Pantry.
- “Golden Age of Musicals” – Wednesday, December 18 at 11:00 a.m. – Remember the great musical films of the 1950s? Want to enjoy them again? Join us for a special program about the “Golden Age of Musicals” to start your holiday season! Enjoy film clips and entertaining discussion led by Sam and Candy Caponegro about the great musical films of the 1950s, including “Singing in the Rain,” “Gigi,” “American in Paris,” and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.”
- Christmas Cantata – – Saturday, December 21 at 1:00 p.m. – The Union Methodist Church Choir will perform traditional holiday carols to celebrate the season. Light refreshments will be served.
- The Book Club will meet on Tuesday, January 21 at 10:45 a.m. Click here for books previously read: https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-list-newsletter-oct18-pdf/
- Communications Crew
When schools are closed for rain, snow or ice, the Center is also closed. If schools have a delayed opening, the Center also has a delayed opening. When in doubt, please call the Center to check on activities and the time the Center will open. Most importantly, if there is snow or ice, please be cautious. It’s ok to miss an activity!
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack