The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
- Walking Club (in favorable weather)
**Please note that In Control and Chair Yoga classes have resumed for the spring.**
WEEKLY SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- Mayor Al Morgan will speak about the “Affordable Housing” plan for New Providence, and Dr. Mark Schlobohm of New Providence Chiropractic will give a presentation on “How to Stay Young” – April 10
- Club members re-create the radio comedy series “The Bickersons” – April 17
- The “Power to End Stroke” presentation through Overlook’s New Vitality program – April 24
- New Providence High School Band students will perform – May 8
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- The Ageless Grace® Brain Health Fitness program is back by popular demand for six sessions on Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. March 7, 14, 21, and 28 and April 11 and 18. (There is no class on April 4; snow date is April 25.) Ageless Grace is a cutting-edge brain health fitness program based on stimulation of neuroplasticity to support cognitive function. Each of the movements also focuses on a primary physical skill such as mobility, balance, flexibility, strength and coordination. The program is designed to be practiced seated, and anyone can participate at his or own level of ability. Classes are free of charge to New Providence Senior Citizen Club members and to all New Providence senior citizens. Non-members may pay $5 per class. Please register in advance by calling (908) 665-0046.
- Tax Preparation Appointments: New Providence, Berkeley Heights, and other area residents can obtain free assistance in preparing and filing their 2018 tax returns. AARP Foundation Tax aide counselors will be available on Mondays and Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. through Monday, April 15, 2019. Taxpayers may call the DeCorso Center at (908) 665-0046 between 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays to schedule an appointment, or they may sign up at the Center. There are no age or income limitations for participation in this program, but taxpayers with complex returns may be advised to seek paid assistance.
- Cherry Blossoms/Spanish Tavern trip – On April 11, visit Branch Brook Park to view the beautiful cherry blossoms and enjoy a delicious lunch afterwards at the Spanish Tavern. Cost is $44. Advance tickets required.
- Celebrate the 60th anniversary of the New Providence Senior Citizen Club with an Anniversary lunch at Primavera Restaurant on Wednesday, May 1. Advance tickets required. Cost is $45.
- The annual Senior Citizen Health Fair will be hosted by the New Providence Health Department and the New Providence Senior Citizen Club on Wednesday, May 15 from 8 AM to 11 AM at the DeCorso Community Center. All New Providence residents 55 years or older are invited to attend the Health Fair, which will host a comprehensive list of free health screenings and medical information at no cost to participants. In person pre-registration is required for the fasting Blood Chemistry screening, as well as for the Stroke Health Risk Assessment (available to the first 30 registrants) which will be conducted by Atlantic Health System, Overlook Medical Center Community Health Department. The in-person pre-registration will be Monday, April 22nd through Friday, May 3rd between the hours of 11 AM and 1 PM at the DeCorso Community Center.
- The Book Club will meet next on Tuesday, May 21 at 10:45 a.m. Click here for books previously read. https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-list-newsletter-oct18-pdf/
The Center will be closed on Friday, April 19 for Good Friday.
When the New Providence schools are closed due to inclement weather, the Center is also closed. If schools have a delayed opening, the Center also has a delayed opening. When in doubt, please call the Center to check on activities and the time the Center will open.
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack