The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club. Both the center and club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult. Here, seniors can apply their wisdom, experience insight and skills in an environment of respect, confidentiality, trust, and support.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1959, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, exhibits, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events.
By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more. Residents age 55 and older are encouraged to take advantage of this special place!
The monthly newsletter provides information, a schedule of events, and other news of interest. CLICK HERE to view current and past issues.
SCHEDULE CHANGES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- There will be a Celebration to Thank Volunteers of the New Providence Senior Citizens’ Club on Wednesday, May 9 at 11:00 a.m. including a performance by the “Four Old Parts” barbershop quartet. All club members are invited to attend!
- On Tuesday, May 15 from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. we will host an “Ask the Pharmacist” program. An Overlook Medical Center clinical pharmacist will discuss how to obtain more affordable medications and safe and effective medication use. Sign up for the presentation and for a time slot to review your medications by calling (908) 665-0046.
- On Tuesday, May 15 all regular classes and activities will be cancelled.
- The New Providence Senior Citizen Health Fair will take place on Wednesday, May 16 from 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. at the DeCorso Community Center. All New Providence residents age 55 or older are invited to attend. The Health Fair will host a comprehensive list of health screenings and medical information at no cost to participants. The Fasting Blood Chemistry and the Stroke Health Risk Assessment screenings require in person pre-registration prior to the health fair. Stroke assessments are limited to the first 30 registrants. Pre-registration will take place at the DeCorso Community Center between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. beginning Monday, April 23 and continuing through Friday, May 4. For additional information, call the DeCorso Community Center at 908-665-0046 or the NP Health Department at 908-743-1049.
- The Book Club will meet on Tuesday, May 22 at 10:45 a.m. to discuss the novel Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan.
- The Current Events Discussion Group will meet on Thursday, May 24 at 11:00 a.m. for a discussion of current issues in national and international affairs.
- The annual Memorial Day Remembrance reception will be held on Monday, May 28 at 11:00 a.m., after the New Providence Memorial Day Parade.
- A Nutrition Education series with the YMCA’s Sue Fieseler will be held on Thursdays, May 31 and June 7, 14, and 21 at 11:00 a.m. and include presentations on Hydration, Arthritis and Nutrition, Cooking Healthy for 1 or 2, and Increasing Your Metabolism. Please sign up in advance for any or all of the classes in the series.
- There are a variety of exercise classes almost daily – check them out!
Please see our regularly scheduled classes and event details in our monthly newsletter.
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack