The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
To reach the DeCorso Community Center, please call (908) 665-0046.
CURRENT DECORSO CENTER NEWS
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought New Providence and the surrounding communities into uncharted territory as our lives and routines have been temporarily disrupted. In our “new normal,” please rest assured that although the DeCorso Community Center is currently closed to the public, we are still working to provide programs and services to New Providence seniors.
The Center is closed to the public, but we are offering virtual and alternative programs to our members and New Providence residents. See information below and in our current newsletter.
• New Providence residents ages 65+ can participate in our virtual ZOOM exercise classes. To register for these classes, please send an e-mail to Decorsocenter@newprov.org. Below is the schedule for October classes:
- Monday, In Control at 9:30am
- Monday, Chair Yoga at 11am
- Tuesday, Balance and Conditioning at 9:45am
- Tuesday, Tai Chi at 1pm
- Thursday, Strong YOU! at 9:30am
- Friday, Zumba at 9:00am
- NEW! Meditation Class – Wednesdays in October at 9:30am
• The NP Senior Shuttle is continuing ShopRite trips on Tuesday mornings with pick-ups at about 7:00 a.m. – please call on Monday mornings to reserve your spot.
- Virtual Program on “Healthy Hearing and Hearing Changes as We Age” – Please join us on Wednesday, October 28th at 11:00 a.m. for a virtual program on with an audiologist from Atlantic Health’s New Vitality program. Audiologist Ann Lisa Cantatore will talk about how hearing affects our health, what changes are normal, and what steps you can take to ensure you are hearing clearly. If you would like to listen and participate, please call the Center at 908-665-0046 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 23.
Highlights for October – Outdoor Gatherings
We will be holding some outdoor only gatherings at the Center (weather permitting):
- Friday Bingo at 11am – in person OR on the phone
- Mah Jongg, Knitting, Advanced Italian and Book Club are all meeting outside the center. See newsletter for schedule.
- Wednesday Outdoor Gatherings: We will have gatherings outside on Wednesdays in October at 11am. See newsletter for details.
For All Outdoor Activities
- RSVP either via email (email@example.com) or phone (908-665-0046).
- Don’t forget – wear a mask and maintain social distance.
- Please note that because the building is closed, there is no access to the restrooms.
- Please do not come to an outdoor program if you or someone you live with is feeing unwell or has a fever, cough or shortness of breath. If you or anyone you live with has traveled to any of the states on New Jersey’s incoming travel advisory list, please quarantine for the 14 day period before coming to an outdoor program.
The monthly newsletter provides information, schedules, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE 2020OCTNewsletterPUBLIC to view our current newsletter.
- New Providence Public Health Nurse (908) 743-1049
- Union County Division on Aging 888-280-8226
- Westfield Regional Health Department (908) 789-4070 or website: http://www.westfieldnj.gov/health
- NJCOVID-19 Hotline 1-800-222-1222
CLICK HERE to view past issues of the newsletter
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack