The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
- Walking Club (in favorable weather)
WEEKLY SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- ShopRite Dietician Michelle Sweeney on “Nutrition for Your Golden Years” – September 19
- Robert Petroro from Beacon Senior Advisors on “Senior Living Options” – October 17
- Jackie Morgado, Lead Technologist at the Center for Sleep Disorders at Saint Barnabas Medical Center, on “The Importance of Sleep on Your Health” – October 24
- The Rose City Songsters will entertain us with songs that span 100 years – October 31
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- The “Selected Topics in Biology” class for seniors, taught by Professor Bill Dunscombe of Union County College, will resume in September. Topics that may be explored this semester include: “Myths about Recycling,” “Your Kidneys and Kidney Stones,” “Ulcers – Types, Causes, and “Cures,” and more! These engaging classes will be held on Mondays September 24 – December 10 from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Advance registration required.
- Community Pass User click here . All other registrants click here to download a registration form https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/decorso-registration-form-pdf/
- Book Club will discuss the novel My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira on Tuesday September 18 at 10:45. Click here for books previously read. https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-club-book-list-pdf/
- Nutrition Series with Nutritionist Sue Fieseler on Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. September 20 and October 4, 11, and 18. Advance sign up required.
- Current Events Discussion Group – September 25 at 10:45 a.m.
- Senior Citizens Club Welcome Back Country/Western Picnic – Wednesday September 26 at 11:00 a.m. Advance tickets required.
- Raptor Trust Trip – See “Sharing the World with Raptors” (birds of prey) and enjoy lunch at the long Hill Tavern – Thursday October 25. Advance tickets required.
- Renovations to the Center’s kitchen will be taking place in September. Some schedule changes may be necessary.
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack