The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
- Walking Club (in favorable weather)
WEEKLY SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- “A Visit to Florence, Italy” Club member Piero Piccardi, an Italian journalist, shares stories about his hometown – June 5
- Salt Brook School Choir Ensemble performs – June 12
- “The Great Italian Artist, Raphael” illustrated lecture by our Italian Class instructor Leo Piovano – June 19
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- The New Providence Senior Citizen Club will be holding a Food Drive during the month of June. Donated items will go to Our Lady of Peace food pantry. Please bring non-perishable food items to the Center when you attend our activities, exercise classes and meetings. Thank you!
- Nutritionist Sue Fieseler from the Summit YMCA returns with Wellness Talks on Thursdays in June at 11:00 a.m. Learn about “The Importance of Hydration” (June 6), “The Benefits of Dark Chocolate” (June 13), “Vitamins, Minerals and Supplements” (June 20) and “Healthy Cooking for 1 or 2” (June 27). Please sign up in advance for any or all of the classes by calling (908) 665-0046 or by sending an email to DeCorsoCenter@newprov.org.
- Try your luck with a Club trip to the Sands Casino in Bethlehem, PA on Tuesday, June 18. Pay $25 and receive $25 in “play money.” Purchase tickets in advance before the Club meetings on Wednesdays.
- The Book Club will meet next on Tuesday, June 18 at 10:45 a.m. to discuss the novel The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. Click here for books previously read: https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-list-newsletter-oct18-pdf/
- An Accessories Swap will be held on Wednesday, June 26 before and after the Club meeting. Bring jewelry, purses, scarves and ties you no longer use to the Swap, and pick up some items for yourself. (The swap will be an exchange of items; no money will change hands.)
- Exercise With Arthritis – Myriam Gabriel, our experienced exercise instructor, will lead participants through various exercises that are suitable for those living with arthritis on Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. June 27 and July 11, 18 and 25.
- There is NO pizza bingo on Friday, June 7 or Friday, June 21.
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack