DECORSO CENTER NEWS
To reach the Decorso Community Center, please call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail email@example.com.
We are pleased to announce that the Center has re-opened. All of our in-person programs have returned to the DeCorso Center.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- We encourage seniors to contact their healthcare provider regarding the vaccine.
- Please refer to the “COVID 19 Information and Updates” section on the Borough of New Providence website www.newprov.org for more information and useful links.
*Important Safety Protocols for In-Person Activities and Programs**
- The wearing of masks in Borough of New Providence Municipal Buildings, including the DeCorso Center, is no longer required. Social distancing is still recommended.
- Please note that the Department of Health encourages residents to make individual decisions within the guidelines in place. Masks are strongly recommended for individuals who are immunocompromised or who have immunocompromised individuals living at home with them. Masks are also strongly recommended when riding the Senior Bus, and for Bridge, Mah Jongg, Game Day, and other activities when seniors may not be socially distanced. If you are concerned about disease transmission or you are not fully vaccinated, you are encouraged to wear a mask.
- We continue to encourage everyone to stay up to date with their vaccinations.
- If you are not feeling well, we ask that you please do not attend our in-person programs.
Thank you for your cooperation. Let’s work together to keep our community safe!
Upcoming DeCorso Center Programs:
* See our current newsletter and calendar for a complete listing of our activities and program details.
VOTING AT THE DECORSO CENTER
Early voting will take place at the DeCorso Center from Saturday, October 29 through Sunday, November 6. Voting will also take place at the DeCorso Center on Election Day, Tuesday, November 8. The Senior Bus will be available on Wednesday, November 2 from 10:30am to 12:30pm to bring seniors to the Center for early voting. Call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org at least two days in advance to request bus transportation.
GAME DAY – Join Club friends for a fun morning of games on Wednesday, November 2, and November 9 at 11am. For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail email@example.com two days in advance.
Join Christine on Thursday, November 3 at 11am to make a beautiful fall décor craft. Learn a simple technique to wrap fabric around a toilet paper roll to create a fall pumpkin. Please bring a roll of toilet paper. Fabric will be provided. Maximum 10 participants. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (908) 665-0046 to register.
On Thursday, November 10 at 11am we will have a special Diwali celebration for all Club members to enjoy! The event will include Indian classical and Bollywood dances, a fashion show and musical performance along with refreshments. Advance registration is required. Bus transportation is available. E-mail email@example.com or call (908) 665-0046 by two days in advance.
NURSE’S HOURS – The New Providence Public Health Nurse, Jennifer Aranda, will be at the DeCorso Center before the Club meeting on Wednesday, November 16 beginning at 10:00am to give blood pressure screenings and to answer questions. For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org two days in advance.
NPSC CLUB MEETING AND SENIOR COUNCIL PRESENTATION ON NJ PROPERTY TAX RELIEF
Join us for a Club meeting and an important presentation that could save you money on Wednesday, November 16 at 11 a.m. Ellen Steinberg, Director of the NJ Senior Council, will share information about New Jersey’s five different property tax relief programs, including the new Anchor Program and the Property Tax Deduction/Credit on your NJ State Income Tax Return which are available for both homeowners and renters. For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail email@example.com two days in advance.
SENIOR CITIZENS DAY AT NPHS
Join us for Senior Citizens Day at New Providence High School on Thursday, November 17 at 10:40 a.m. Enjoy vocal and musical performances by talented NPHS students, and scenes from the NPHS fall play. Seniors will also receive a “grab and go” lunch prepared by Culinary Arts program students to bring home and enjoy. Advance registration is required; space will be limited. Parking at NPHS is extremely limited and is not guaranteed, so the Senior Bus will provide transportation from the DeCorso Center to the High School, departing at 10:00 a.m. To register, please call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, November 7.
MVC COMING TO THE DECORSO CENTER
The NJ Motor Vehicle Commission’s mobile unit will be at the DeCorso Center on Saturday, November 19 from 10:00am to 2:00pm to assist New Providence senior citizens with many of their MVC needs. Services will include driver license renewals (for licenses within 3 months of expiration), vehicle registration renewals, non-driver identification cards, driver’s license renewal with Real ID (for a limited number of customers for licenses within 6 months of expiration), handicap placard renewals, and adding a veteran designation to licenses. If you have license plates that need to be surrendered, you can also use this event to complete that transaction. Advance registration is required by October 28; space is limited. Registration forms are available at the Police Department. For questions, please call NP Police Sergeant Andrew Diamond, Traffic Bureau Supervisor at 908-665-1111.
SPECIAL BINGO – Win special prizes and get in the Thanksgiving spirit at our bingo games on Wednesday, November 23. For bus transportation, e-mail email@example.com or call (908) 665-0046 two days in advance.
NPSC CLUB MEETING AND MAGIC SHOW SPONSORED BY CARE ONE
Join us for a Club meeting and a special magic show sponsored by Care One on Wednesday, November 30 at 11 a.m. Advance registration is not required but would be appreciated for planning purposes. For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org two days in advance
Zoom Exercise Classes – To register for these classes, please send an e-mail to Decorsocenter@newprov.us. Below is the schedule for classes:
- Monday, In Control at 9am
- Monday, Chair Yoga at 11am
- Tuesday, Balance and Conditioning at 9:45am
- Tuesday, Tai Chi at 1pm
- Thursday, Strong YOU! at 9:30am
- Friday, Zumba at 9:00am
SENIOR BUS SHOPPING TRIPS
- The NP Senior Shuttle is continuing ShopRite trips on Tuesday mornings with pick-ups at about 8:00 a.m. – Please call on Monday mornings to reserve your spot.
- On Thursday, December 1 , Mike will drive the senior bus to the Blue Star Shopping Center including The Dollar Store, ShopRite, and Kohl’s. Pickups will begin at 9:00a.m. Seniors are asked to wear their masks while riding the bus. To reserve your spot, call (908) 665-0046 or email email@example.com by Tuesday, November 29.
The monthly newsletter provides information, schedules, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE2022NOVNewsletterPUBLIC to view our current newsletter.
- New Providence Public Health Nurse (908) 743-1049
- Union County Division on Aging 888-280-8226
- Westfield Regional Health Department (908) 789-4070 or website: http://www.westfieldnj.gov/health
- SAGE Eldercare services for New Providence Residents: SAGE Eldercare is a nonprofit organization providing programs and services to meet the changing needs of older adults, their families, and caregivers. New Providence Borough has contracted with SAGE and their services are available to all New Providence residents. The liaison for New Providence residents may be reached at 908-598-5509.
- Union County Paratransit System (908)241-8300
DeCorso Community Center Information
The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
CLICK HERE to view past issues of the newsletter
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinator: Michelle Zack
Senior Center Program Coordinator: Arthi shri Selvaraj