DECORSO CENTER NEWS
To reach the Decorso Community Center, please call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail email@example.com.
We are pleased to announce that the Center has re-opened. All of our in-person programs have returned to the DeCorso Center.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- We encourage seniors to contact their healthcare provider regarding the vaccine.
- Please refer to the “COVID 19 Information and Updates” section on the Borough of New Providence website www.newprov.org for more information and useful links.
*Important Safety Protocols for In-Person Activities and Programs**
- The wearing of masks in Borough of New Providence Municipal Buildings, including the DeCorso Center, is no longer required. Social distancing is still recommended.
- Please note that the Department of Health encourages residents to make individual decisions within the guidelines in place. Masks are strongly recommended for individuals who are immunocompromised or who have immunocompromised individuals living at home with them. Masks are also strongly recommended when riding the Senior Bus, and for Bridge, Mah Jongg, Game Day, and other activities when seniors may not be socially distanced. If you are concerned about disease transmission or you are not fully vaccinated, you are encouraged to wear a mask.
- We continue to encourage everyone to stay up to date with their vaccinations.
- If you are not feeling well, we ask that you please do not attend our in-person programs.
Thank you for your cooperation. Let’s work together to keep our community safe!
Upcoming DeCorso Center Programs:
* See our current newsletter and calendar for a complete listing of our activities and program details.
HOLIDAY SPIRIT DAY!
Come and share your holiday spirit! Please join NP Middle School Art Club student volunteers as they help us decorate our trees and the Center for the holidays on Tuesday, December 6 at 12:00p.m. We will also be writing holiday greeting cards to send to Club members. These are wonderful traditions that we are happy to have back at the Center! Refreshments will be served. Advance registration is not required but would be appreciated for planning purposes.
NPSC CLUB MEETING – BRING A FRIEND AND ENJOY THE NPMS CHORALE
Join us for a special holiday-themed Club meeting on Wednesday, December 7 at 11:00a.m., and bring a friend to enjoy musical performances by the New Providence Middle School Chorale. The students will perform choral numbers, solos, and small group songs. If you bring a friend who is new to the Club, you and your friend will each be entered to win a gift card to the Prestige Diner! We think the Center is a great place and would love for you to share it with those who may not be familiar with it. For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org two days in advance.
HOLIDAY CRAFT – Make Your Own Christmas Ornaments
Come and join us for a Christmas ornaments making craft on Thursday, December 8 at 11am. Make your own ornament to decorate your Christmas tree or gift it to your loved ones. To register, email email@example.com or call (908) 665-0046.
AARP “SMART DRIVER” COURSE
Refresh your driving skills with the AARP “Smart Driver” course, returning in-person to the DeCorso Center this December. During the course, you will learn smart driving strategies to keep you safer on the road and increase your confidence behind the wheel. Plus, you may save money on your auto insurance (consult your agent for details) and may be eligible to have two points removed from your driving record. AARP will be offering the class in person at the DeCorso Center on Monday December 12 and Tuesday, December 13 from 10:00a.m.-1:00p.m. Participants must attend both sessions to get the certificate. Anyone with a NJ License is welcome to attend. The cost of the course is $20 for AARP members and $25 for non-members; payment will be collected at the first class. Advance registration is required; space may be limited. To register, please call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nurse’s Hours – The New Providence Public Health Nurse, Jennifer Aranda, will be at the DeCorso Center before the Club meeting on Wednesday, December 14 beginning at 10:00am to give blood pressure screenings and to answer questions. For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail email@example.com two days in advance.
NPSC CLUB MEETING – NPHS SOCIOLOGY CLASS & CLUB ELECTIONS
Please join us for a Club meeting and discussions with students from the NP High School Sociology class on Wednesday, December 14 at 11:00a.m. The Club has a long-standing tradition with the Sociology class where the students come in and interview NPSCC members and talk to seniors about generational changes and values. Please come, share your experiences, and compare your teenage years with theirs. Those that have participated in past years know that it has always been an interesting and fun day for both seniors and students! The election of the NPSCC Officers and Trustees will also take place at this meeting. For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org two days in advance.
NPSCC HOLIDAY LUNCHEON
Celebrate the holiday season with Club friends and enjoy delicious food at the Vintage Tavern in Gilette on Thursday, December 15 at 12:00p.m. The menu will include Garden Salad, Pizza Appetizers, Chicken Francese, Sausage and Peppers, Rigatoni Vodka, Broccoli Sauté, and Brownie Sundaes. All served family style. Unlimited soda, coffee, and tea. Alcoholic beverages are extra. Cost: $30. Tickets are on sale now! Last day to purchase tickets is Friday, December 10. Refunds for cancellations made 48 hours in advance (by Tuesday, December 13). For bus transportation, call (908) 665-0046 or e-mail email@example.com two days in advance.
Let’s get baking! Share some delicious holiday treats as we get into the spirit of the season with a cookie exchange on Monday, December 19 at 11:00a.m. Here’s how it will work:
- Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Center by Monday, December 12 to let us know you would like to participate. (Please plan to bake approximately 2 dozen cookies.)
- We will advise those who sign up of the total number of participants and ask you to make individually wrapped bags of cookies for each person (probably 2-3 cookies each, depending on total numbers).
- Bring the individually portioned cookies with you to the Cookie Exchange on Monday, December 19 at 11:00 a.m.
- Enjoy some holiday music, exchange your cookies, and spread good cheer.
SPECIAL BINGO – Join us for a special holiday-themed bingo on Wednesday, December 21 at 11:00am. Brandywine Living will help us get in the holiday spirit and share special prizes. For bus transportation, e-mail email@example.com or call (908) 665-0046 two days in advance.
NEW YEAR FUN SOCIAL HOUR
“Celebrate endings for they precede new beginnings.” Join your Club friends on Wednesday, December 28 at 11am for a fun social hour including Trivia games organized by Bert Abbazia along with music, refreshments, and prizes to win! Call 908-665-0046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two days in advance to register and request bus transportation.
Zoom Exercise Classes – To register for these classes, please send an e-mail to Decorsocenter@newprov.us. Below is the schedule for classes:
- Monday, In Control at 9am
- Monday, Chair Yoga at 11am
- Tuesday, Balance and Conditioning at 9:45am
- Tuesday, Tai Chi at 1pm
- Thursday, Strong YOU! at 9:30am
- Friday, Zumba at 9:00am
*EXERCISE CLASS UPDATES FOR 2023*
Beginning in January 2023, our exercise classes will transition to a hybrid format, which will include in-person classes at the DeCorso Center while at the same time being on Zoom for those seniors who do not wish to return in person.
- You MUST register/re-register for all classes you would like to take in 2023 by e-mailing email@example.com or calling (908) 665-0046 by Wednesday, December 14. When registering, please specify whether you plan to attend in person or via Zoom. Please refer to page 4 in December Newsletter for more details and description about Exercises class.
SENIOR BUS SHOPPING TRIPS
- The NP Senior Shuttle is continuing ShopRite trips on Tuesday mornings with pick-ups at about 8:00 a.m. – Please call on Monday mornings to reserve your spot.
- On Thursday, December 1 , Mike will drive the senior bus to the Blue Star Shopping Center including The Dollar Store, ShopRite, and Kohl’s. Pickups will begin at 9:00a.m. Seniors are asked to wear their masks while riding the bus. To reserve your spot, call (908) 665-0046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, November 29.
The monthly newsletter provides information, schedules, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE 2022DECNewsletterPUBLICNov29 to view our current newsletter.
- New Providence Public Health Nurse (908) 743-1049
- Union County Division on Aging 888-280-8226
- Westfield Regional Health Department (908) 789-4070 or website: http://www.westfieldnj.gov/health
- SAGE Eldercare services for New Providence Residents: SAGE Eldercare is a nonprofit organization providing programs and services to meet the changing needs of older adults, their families, and caregivers. New Providence Borough has contracted with SAGE and their services are available to all New Providence residents. The liaison for New Providence residents may be reached at 908-598-5509.
- Union County Paratransit System (908)241-8300
DeCorso Community Center Information
The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
CLICK HERE to view past issues of the newsletter
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinator: Michelle Zack
Senior Center Program Coordinator: Arthi shri Selvaraj