The DeCorso Community Center serves as the home for the New Providence Senior Citizens Club, established in 1959. Both the Center and Club provide opportunities for senior residents to socialize and participate in programs and activities in an atmosphere that acknowledges and affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult.
Donated to the Borough by the DeCorso family in 1977, the facility includes a library, solarium, kitchen and areas for presentations, performances, games, exercise and parties. The Senior Citizens bus can provide transportation to many Senior Center activities and events. By collaborating with other agencies and groups, the center is a rich source for information on healthy living, healthcare, assisted living options, and much more.
Residents 55 plus can volunteer, participate and get involved in one of our committees, clubs or classes!
The monthly newsletter provides information, class schedules, event details, and other news of interest.
CLICK HERE to view current and past issues of the newsletter.
WEEKLY CLASSES AND CLUBS
- Exercise classes including In Control, Chair Yoga, Balance and Conditioning, Tai Chi, Fit and Healthy, and Zumba
- Mah Jongg
- Italian classes
- Knitting Club
- Walking Club (in favorable weather)
WEEKLY SPEAKERS (Wednesdays at the 11:00 a.m. meeting of the New Providence Senior Citizens Club)
- NPHS Vocal Soloists will perform – February 6
- “Club Day” and Musical Valentine’s Day program – February 13
- “Managing Your Medications at Home” presentation by Carol Brush of Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- “Leonardo Da Vinci” – an illustrated lecture by Leo Piovano, our Italian class instructor – February 27
- Highlights from the NPHS spring musical “Chicago” performed by some of the cast members – March 6
- “Women’s History of Union County” presentation by History Program Coordinator for the County of Union John Prescott – March 13
- Singing group “The Larks” will perform a beautiful medley of “oldies,” show tunes and patriotic numbers – March 27
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- The “Selected Topics in Biology” class for seniors, taught by Professor Bill Dunscombe of Union County College, continues on Mondays through March 25 at 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Topics that may be explored this semester include: “The Ear – tinnitus, Meniere’s disease and other disorders,” “Non24 Sleep Disorder,” “Athletes and Anabolic Steroids,” current events in biology, and more. Advance registration required.
- Community Pass User click here . All other registrants click here to download a registration form https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/decorso-registration-form-pdf/
- Chinese New Year Luncheon at Szechuan Delight on Wednesday, February 6 at 1:00 p.m. to celebrate the year of the pig with Club friends. Cost is $15.
- Tax Preparation Appointments: New Providence, Berkeley Heights, and other area residents can obtain free assistance in preparing and filing their 2018 tax returns. AARP Foundation Tax aide counselors will be available on Mondays and Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. from Saturday, February 9, 2019 through Monday, April 15, 2019. Beginning January 24, 2019, taxpayers may call the DeCorso Center at (908) 665-0046 between 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays to schedule an appointment, or they may sign up at the Center. There are no age or income limitations for participation in this program, but taxpayers with complex returns may be advised to seek paid assistance.
- The Book Club will meet next on Tuesday, February 19 at 10:45 a.m. The book for discussion will be the novel Saving Grace by Jane Green. Click here for books previously read. https://www.newprov.org/wpfb-file/book-list-newsletter-oct18-pdf/
- The Current Events Discussion Group will meet on Tuesday, February 26 at 10:45 a.m.
- Liberty Science Center Trip to see the interactive International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes and the planetarium show Black Holes: The Other Side of Infinity on Thursday, February 28. Cost is $22 plus the cost of lunch; please purchase tickets in advance; they will be sold before the Club meetings on Wednesdays.
- Casino Trip – Try your luck at the Sands Casino in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on Tuesday, March 19. Cost is $25; receive $25 in “play money.” Please purchase tickets in advance; they will be sold before the Club meetings on Wednesdays.
The Center will be closed on Monday, February 18 for the Presidents Day Holiday.
When the New Providence schools are closed due to inclement weather, the Center is also closed. If schools have a delayed opening, the Center also has a delayed opening. When in doubt, please call the Center to check on activities and the time the Center will open. Most importantly, if there is snow or ice, please be cautious!
Monday – Friday 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
15 East Fourth Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
Senior Center Coordinators: Therese Dalton and Michelle Zack